Re: OT: BING!

Author: Kurt Granroth
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: BING!
On 6/1/09 8:40 AM, James Finstrom wrote:
> I wanted to be a good unbiased party and try out bing. I tried really
> hard to find something I liked and well I either didn't try hard enough
> or maybe I am just not skilled enough to make it do it's magic. Anyhow I
> just thought I would share my opinion on Microsoft's new "google
> Killer." It sort of reminds me of those cable vs satellite commercials
> where the marketing folks are around the table and they say I know we
> will just play the volume louder and that will make it better...
> Basically Microsoft's approach is to "out google" google. When you do a
> search you see sponsored text based ads on the top and right then your
> results. Over all I was un-impressed if I want to use something "like
> google" I will simply use google.

Yeah, Google is still tops for normal searching. HOWEVER, the bing maps
(used to be Live Maps) has one absolute killer feature: "Bird's Eye
View". I've found myself spending *hours* on it, checking out various
properties from all angles. Really, there's no comparison between it
and a simple overhead shot.

Now for those properties that have both Bing Bird's Eye View *and*
Google Streetview... well, it's so close to being there that it's almost
virtual reality. Awesome.

Kurt