Re: Can Firefox be updated without affecting the rest of my …

Author: koder
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Can Firefox be updated without affecting the rest of my system?

On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 19:16 -0700, Jason Holtzapple wrote:
> --- On Fri, 5/29/09, Josef Lowder <> wrote:
> > Is it possible to upgrade Firefox
> > without causing any effect on my operating system?
> > And if the upgrade does not work, could I restore the old
> > Firefox version?
>
> Why not just download the current firefox tarball from mozilla.com and
> run it out of your home directory?
>
> --Jason

I installed an upgraded version of Firefox on my first Linux system a
few years ago. Red Hat did not distribute the newer version I wanted.

I had to fiddle with some of the configuration files but I finally got
it working. I could launch either version depending on how I started
them.

Backups are your friend.