Re: Linux Router for windows network?

Author: Eric Shubert
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Linux Router for windows network?
Lisa Kachold wrote:

> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Sir Light <
> <mailto:sirlight@cox.net>> wrote:
>
>     I also will second that recomendation too.... been running one for
>     over 5 years.

>     Jon
>     ---- Eric Shubert < <mailto:ejs@shubes.net>> wrote:
>      > I'll 2nd that recommendation. I've used IPCop for many years now,
>     and am
>      > very happy with it. It can be run on a wide array of minimal
>     software.
>      > If you have an old W98-era PC (266Mh or so), that'd make a
>     perfect IPCop
>      > box. Just add a NIC or 2, and you're good to go.
>      >
>      > Matthew A Coulliette wrote:
>      > > Hi,
>      > > I would recommend IPCop.  It is not a book, it is a router/firewall
>      > > distro and works quite well.  I use it for my linux network,
>     however, I
>      > > believe that windows people use it as well.  There is an email
>     list for
>      > > contrib support:
>     <mailto:ipcop-user@lists.sourceforge.net>.
>      > > MatthewMPP

>      > >

>      > >

>      > >
>      > > mike Enriquez wrote:
>      > >> I believe it is possible to setup a Linux computer to act as a
>     router
>      > >> for a small windows network. Does anyone on the list know of a
>     book or
>      > >> article that explains how to set this up.
>      > >> It sounds like a good idea, is it possible?
>      > >> I am a newbie so be kind!
>      > >> Mike Enriquez :)

>      > >>

>      >

>      >
>      > --
>      > -Eric 'shubes'

> Seriously!
>
> Check out Untangle!
>
> http://www.untangle.com/

Untangle's very slick all right. However, it needs substantially more
resources due to the slick gui interface. Think CLI vs X. Personally, I
think that IPCop's web interface is more than sufficient, and quite
efficient. I just can't see how the bloat in Untangle is justified for a
router.

--
-Eric 'shubes'