Re: corrupted download

+ (text/html)
Author: Dazed_75
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: corrupted download
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Matthew A Coulliette
<>wrote:

> Dazed_75 wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 7:51 PM, Matthew A Coulliette
> > < <mailto:matthewlug@cox.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     I have never seen that happen, (the md5sum being next to the file).
> >     found a list called MD5sums for the iso I was downloading, and even
> if
> >     this list is invalid, every one of my downloads has a different
> >     md5sum,
> >     (even though I keep downloading the same iso). - MatthewMPP

> > When you said "list called MD5sums for the iso I was downloading",
> > that sounded a bit like it was a list of md5sums for the files within
> > the .iso. There should only be one md5sum for the .iso itself.
> There was a list with the names of ubuntu iso's and their corresponding
> md5sums. I used the md5sum for the iso I downloaded.

Sounds good. I have seen that list but your wording made me ask the
question.

> > You also said "every one of my downloads has a different md5sum, (even
> > though I keep downloading the same iso)". It definitely should not do
> > that (and protocols should prevent it happening repeatedly and without
> > warning). I might suspect noise on a disk interface or some kind of
> > malware but then I would expect you to have other problems as well.
> > Can you try doing this on some other computer?
> > --
> > Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry
> I was wondering if it could be a NIC card going bad, and if there was a
> command line program for finding the problem. I did have a friend
> download the same iso and burn it onto a disk and then he brought it
> over and we used the "check disk" option on it and it was perfect. I do
> agree that I should try this on another computer at the same location.
> I will try to do this today or tomorrow. - MatthewMPP

Coolness. Actually, something else occurs to me. I vaguely recall
something I read 2-3 years ago where some part of the error checking
protocol normally done in hardware by the NIC had been offloaded to the
driver for [some?] gigabit NICs. If this were the case for yours and the
driver in use was not doing that check ... Seems highly unlikely, but
maybe? Pretty much total speculation at this point.

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry