Re: unlock keyring -> password advice

+ (text/html)
Author: Dazed_75
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: unlock keyring -> password advice
On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 2:09 PM, Lyle Tuttle <> wrote:

> At 09:11 AM 5/24/2009, you wrote:
>

> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Lyle Tuttle <> wrote:
>

> I think I've been fscked now, and without a kiss.....
>
> Went to the suggested location to find my passwords, but it says nothing is
> in the file......
>
> So the question is, would I rather let everyone have my data, or no one,
> including me?
>
> I find that doubtful frankly. I have two questions:
>
>    1. Did you originally, or after the installation, set the option to
>    automatically log in without providing a password?

> Frankly, I do not recall - it is possible.
>

>    1.   Doing so would likely make the keyring ask you for the password.
>    It would not have done so at the installfest because the wireless network we
>    connected to there does not require a password/passphrase.  You home network
>    should and that would have been stored in the keyring.

> Yes, my home network is WPA 2 (PSK), and I know that one very well.......
>

>    1. What do you get is you open a terminal and type "ls -al
>    ~/.gnome2/keyrings" without the quotes (be sure to include the period which
>    is easy to miss).

> I get: "could not display -- Nautilus cannot handle this kind of
> locations" I took that to be a lower-case "L", not and upper-case "I" --
> correct? I have already deleted the old "default" (and other one) file in
> the location following the ~

If you are getting a nautilus error, you have not run the command from a
terminal, you are in nautilus. If you want to do it that way, you will have
to turn on the view hidden files toggle (in the view menu I think). Any
file beginning with a '.' is "hidden". If you are viewing your home
directory and turn on that toggle, you should be able to see the .gnome2
folder/directory and if you double click that you should see its contents
including a folder named "keyrings". If you double click that you should
see any keyrings you have (easier from the terminal huh?). At that point,
if you want to try the suggested deletions, click on them and hit the delete
key.

> lyle

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry