Re: Best "professional" "WEB site" tool out there...

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Best "professional" "WEB site" tool out there...
From: keith smith <>
> --- On Tue, 5/19/09, JD Austin <> wrote:
>>> To make a professional looking WEB site with minimum effort
>>> and maximum flexibility.
>>> A (sort of) knowledgeable person kick-starts the site and
>>> then hands maintenance and minor upgrades to monkeys.

If this is how you do it, it'll eventually look like the whole
thing was put together by monkeys. Also, the requirements
given are kind of sparse. How frequently will this be updated?
How many people are doing the updating? What's the purpose of
the site? Details Count, and you've provided minimal info here.

>> Joomla, Drupal

Drupal really hits the DB hard. How much traffic is this thing
going to get?

> WordPress allows one to drop a template into a directory and
> go into the control panel and activate it. WordPress allows
> for plugins and they work the same way as templates, just drop
> in the right directory and activate

wordpress works (heck, I use it), but the themes available may
have odd warts in them. It might not work as well as you want
if you have a ton of authors. There are spamming bastards out
there who inject crap into the comments section of any wordpress
site they find, so you have to deal with that as well. There
are multiple ways to do that, of course.

> There is a learning curve with all of these.

Yep.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
The Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress/