Re: OT: [Computerworld:] "Cisco takes aim at WiMax"

+ (text/html)
Author: Lisa Kachold
To: schwartz, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: [Computerworld:] "Cisco takes aim at WiMax"
On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Mike Schwartz <> wrote:

> This link:
>
> http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=339523&source=CWNLE_nlt_thisweek_2009-05-18
>
> points to an article ("Cisco takes aim at WiMax") from Computerworld.
> Does this relate to this old thread? :
>
> http://lists.plug.phoenix.az.us/lurker/message/20080225.172251.1ee32f7a.en.html
> [OT: (is this OT?) ["Tempe ... isn't alone"] www.computerworld.com on
> municipal wifi woes]
> or, is my ignorance about the term [WiMax] even more than I thought?
> "see also": this other old post:
>
> http://lists.plug.phoenix.az.us/lurker/message/20080324.232746.84d13a21.en.html
> [Re: OT: (is this OT?) udpate - [news item: "Sebastopol"] (was: Re: [...]
> municipal wifi woes)]
> (including, the link it has, to a NY Times story...)
> --

Yes, this is a subject for discussion, however, might not be linux specific,
really. But it is something for the PLUG open source politicos?

The whole discussion of where the cable/telco's are going with regards to
providing information access bandwidth seems to be as varied as political
ideologies. Sure, it could be managed in a non-profit way, and various
muni's have big WiFi. I believe Microsoft's investment is a new technology
that expands on airwaves opened recently. One of the big technologies to
watch is expected to be National WiFi/WiMax.

There is expected to be strong competition between the phone companies and
any big wireless breakthrough. In Europe they are less controlled with
regards to Voip packet traffic access than America, but the new G2 phones
(and the old G1 T-Mobile Hotspot Google phones running the Android system)
also provide free Wifi that actually works to automatically provide free
Internet services without paying airtime.

In 2003, I put in a private enterprise Nomadix in Produce Row in Portland
that covered nearly half of the whole SE/Downtown area, which did a http
request to ElevenWireless who handled all the billing. It WAS VERY
PROFITABLE in the bars/coffee shops and uber renewed industrial artists
lofts. But of course, everyone has tried to use the ASU systems (didn't
work for me)?

--
www.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
"Contradictions do not exist." A. Rand