Re: HTTP Access Logging

+ (text/html)
Author: Lisa Kachold
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: HTTP Access Logging
Hi!

Logging is decreed by the httpd configuration files, and can either be
included in a directory full of configuration files, configured in
httpd.conf which can be either in /etc/httpd/conf.d (/etc/httpd/conf) or
another location (which can be set during build of binary or by distro.

So from httpd.conf

#CustomLog logs/access_log common
CustomLog logs/access_log combined
#    CustomLog logs/dummy-host.example.com-access_log common

So the URL is consistent with ServerRoot:
# ServerRoot: The top of the directory tree under which the server's
ServerRoot "/etc/httpd"
[root@chipmonk android-sdk-linux_x86-1.5_r1]#

Your best bet is to setup a well customized logging format so that you
retain only the information you need. Awstats is a fine add-on for
manipulating log data into meaningful use, which is searchable, etc.
Generally, awstats is best run on exported and mounted log data on an
adjacent server (it's a security issue). Other logging to a mysql server
solutions for instance also have some real performance problems in real
time.

Your custom configuration can also rotate your logs or they can be called
and moved via logrotate from the /etc/logrotate.d directory but an apache
reset is required.

I prefer to manage my Apache logs from within Apache using the logformat
commands.

You can easily find your logfile location in this way:

# locate httpd.conf

# grep access_log /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

I always copy configuration files to a backup before editing.

See http://httpd.apache.org/docs/1.3/logs.html

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 11:14 AM, keith smith <> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm running a CentOS LAMP server and it appears that access logging has
> discontinued.
>
> I'm thinking there is a messages log file some place that might shed light
> on what or how the access logging was turned off.
>
> I've looked under /var/log and do not find what I'm looking for. I'm not
> sure I am on the right track.
>
> This is a little beyond my area of expertise so any advise is much
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Keith

www.obnosis.com (503)754-4452