Re: List of Command Line Tools

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: List of Command Line Tools
After a long battle with technology, Matthew A Coulliette wrote:
> Every once in a while someone mentions that: "they use the command line
> for that", where "that" means almost "anything". Example: someone just
> mentioned that they use the command line for email. I was wondering if
> people that use the command line a lot could list a few of the programs
> they use and what they are used for. Example: Irssi: instant messenger
> for irc channels.

vim : file-based text editing
sed and tr: stream-based text editing
pine : POP/IMAP mail
slrn : Usenet
yum/aptitude/emerge : package management
bc : math
links/lynx : web browsing
find : finding files based on @CRITERIA
xargs : dealing with command lines that don't fit in 32768 chars
cdrecord/growisofs : recording CDs and DVDs
perl/php/ruby : complicated programming tasks that can't be done in bash
gcc/g++ : even more complex programming tasks that can't be done in Perl/PHP
make : managing builds of things that require compilation
cvs/svn : source code control
imagemagick : doing things with graphics (has C/C++/Perl/$FOO bindings)

...the main things that I'd want that don't exist right now on the command
line are a full-featured web browser (JavaScript, Flash, JPEGs), a PDF
viewer, and a personal finance program. (Serious image editing requires a
pixmapped Display and will always require a pixmapped Display, for reasons
which should be obvious.) Flash and the full functionality of PDF are
impossible to implement fully on the command line.

I do a ton of things on the command line, and always have a konsole or xterm
open. I also do a ton of things in various X11 apps, so I'm not the world's
best reference for command-line stuff. Caveat user.

--
Yesterday upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today -- I think he's from the CIA.