Re: OT: Compile a cpp file on HPUX with gcc

+ (text/html)
Author: Lisa Kachold
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: Compile a cpp file on HPUX with gcc
Hi!

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Donn <> wrote:

> OT-OT-OT-OT
> All,
>
> I hope you don't mind if I ask a question way out of my comfort zone. We
> have a cpp file with three .h header files that I would like to compile in
> our Oracle servers (HPUX 11). The gcc compiler is installed on the HP
> servers, but the source code does not contain a make file, so we don’t know
> how to compile it in HPUX (not being programmers, but IT nerds). Does anyone
> have any pointers?

This link tells you how to setup a variation of gcc, then running "gmake
bootstrap" (takes a real long time to build - be very patient).

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2002-03/msg00949.html

The most common problem with compiling source on HP-UX is that
a full ANSI C compiler is not included. The C compiler
on HP-UX is a K&R kernel-builder (like other Unix vendors).
So you would need to either purchase the C compiler and
developer's package, or get the gcc compiler and use it
as your C compiler. Naturally, a lot of open source code
assumes (often without documenting it) a number of libraries
are also present....

[NOTE some source for HPUX uses CC, rather than GCC <see below>:

To verify your compiler version:
gcc -v

Without seeing what is in the *cpp file and what libraries are called, I
cannot
say without a doubt if this WILL compile.

> Here’s some information on the program from the source company:
>
> The files are:
>
>                 lpssend.cpp

>                 wdsocket.h

>                 wdprotocol.h

>                 wdprotocolcmd.h

<snip>

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/barcodescannersdiscount/LPSV84UserGuide2006.pdf

I assume you are trying to build install the HPUX client?
Or is this the Server? See the link above for more details and refer your
questions to LPSV people, who can direct you to support; you will need to
know what compiler flags need to be setup for your source, which are usually
included in the standard package README or INSTALL files.

Make sure you have SOUCE code written for HPUX, since TCP/IP stack is quite
different.

There are a number of other GNU packages you need for GCC, including
binutils, gettext, bison, flex, m4 and texinfo. That may not be an
exhaustive list - as I'm sure you've already found for a GNU package there
are another 2 or 3 dependencies, which need another one or two packages etc.
A quick reading of the source code will give you an idea of the include
files and libs?

Are you sure you have GCC?

http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSoftwareDetailPage_IDX/0,1703,547,00.html<javascript:openExternal('http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSoftwareDetailPage_IDX/0,1703,547,00.html')>

gcc for hp-ux 11

Post your errors to a HPUX list, they will help you.

> --
> Donn
> There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
> -- Dave Barry

www.obnosis.com (503)754-4452
"Contradictions do not exist." A. Rand