Re: Ubuntu Jaunty Update Pop-Under

Author: koder
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Ubuntu Jaunty Update Pop-Under
Oh, THE Ted?

I think that personal attacks are put of place in a group like ours.

I would like to respond with a more general list of things that are
somewhat related. I am not sure where to address them, but since this
thread was started, I will tack it on here.

Thanks for the link to the bug. Since I am not involved in development
and am never sure what constitutes a bug. I have never spent much time
in there. A feature that I don't care for is not a bug. I have not seen
anyplace to discuss desired features. I presume there is one.

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 and planning in sticking with it for a while,
so I have not noticed the update behavior that was commented on, so I
did not understand what the hoopla was all about.

As a user I would offer the opinion that if the update application is
popping up on its own I would find it very intrusive. My expectation
would be that a notification, such as an icon would turn on in the
notification area (I didn't know that area had a name) and indicate that
I can choose to install the waiting updates.

Based on that, if the goal was to clean up the notification area the
task went amiss. If I was going to offer a suggestion for cleanup, I
would offer the suggestion to remove the network icon. It does not tell
me if the network is connected or not and seems redundant for launching
the network settings GUI. I do not see a problem with requiring me to
go through System | Administration to change network settings.

I also would like to see the Show Search entry icon go away. I have
never used it, and the couple of times I tested it is did not do
anything I wanted to use.

Of course, some may find the icons of tremendous use. Based on my
understanding of the principle of Linux and Ubuntu design the route
would be to leave it as a configurable option.

What does irritate me though is that on my laptop the update tells me it
can only do a partial update to my software. It does not tell me why. My
options are to do a partial update to everything, or refuse to do any
updates at all, for ever it seems. I don't know if that is a bug or not.
I find it strange behavior.

On an allied topic, many times an upgrade comes down with a description
that says there is no information about the update, but it wants to
install it anyway. If an update does not have a simple description
available for it, is it ready for distribution? Or, perhaps to rephrase,
if it isn't ready, including a description why is it being offered?