Re: My Open Source (not officially so yet) License

+ (text/html)
Author: Ryan Rix
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: My Open Source (not officially so yet) License
You're a mad hatter, Tuna.

What will the world be coming to if OSi approves it?

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 12:53 AM, Andrew "Tuna" Harris <
> wrote:

> Helloes.
>
> I am working on an open source license of my very own. Basically, I
> think IP is just ridiculous (inb4 flameware. No. NO. NO!), so I'm
> creating a license that is less restrictive than the GPL (you don't HAVE
> to redistribute full source code), but provides me with more lulz than
> the BSD license. I like the BSD license, in an egocentric world it's
> one of the few things that makes sense. Unfortunately, it doesn't spit
> back at people like I sometimes wish it did.
>
> So, I added a clause to the BSD license, and the result is the Chicken
> Dance License! Info and the license text are available here:
> http://bit.ly/DOnV9
>
> For those of you who are afraid of compressed URLs or behind a corporate
> firewall, my license pretty much has the following conditions for
> proprietary stuff:
>
> - For every thousand units sold, half or more of the employees must
>        listen to the Chicken Dance
> - For every million, two employees have to perform the chicken dance,
>        and a video of it (encoded in OGG Theora format) must be
>        submitted to the author of the CDL-license software
> - Nobody with the company that produces the proprietary software may say
>        the word "plinth" out in public.

> For non-proprietary stuff, it's just the BSD license.
>
> Does it match up with the Open Source Definition? As far as I can tell,
> it seems to. I'm not asking for money or power, just a little dance.
>
> Thoughts? I'm all ears. Just no flamewars plz kthx.

Thanks and best regards,
Ryan Rix
TamsPalm - The PalmOS Blog
(623)-239-1103 <-- Grand Central, baby!

Jasmine Bowden - Class of 2009, Marc Rasmussen - Class of 2008, Erica
Sheffey - Class of 2009, Rest in peace.