Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Run Level

+ (text/html)
Author: Ryan Rix
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Ubuntu 9.04 Run Level
has anyone simply recommended the OP to boot into "recovery mode"??

Your grub menu will have had it. if you don't see Grub menu come up edit
/boot/grub/menu.lst
find the timeout value to 10 or something, then you'll have a number of
boot options, probably Ubuntu 9.04 `uname -r` and Ubuntu 9.04 `uname -r`
(Recovery Mode)
Boot into the second one. It'll drop you to a root shell, you may have to
/etc/init.d/networking start to get your interwebz and certain system
services won't be running but it won't load X and you should be able to
install the nvidia drivers.

Another question:
WHY AREN'T YOU USING APT FOR ISNTALLING THAT DRIVER??

>apt-cache search nvidia

it'll be nvidia-glx-XXX where XXX is a version number for the gfx card you
want (legacy use 73, middle level 96 and cutting edge cards use... 176? the
last one.)
>sudo aptitude install nvidia-glx-XXX

Regards.

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 12:03 PM, AZ Rune <> wrote:

> Thanks Larry I have two off comming up and I will see what I can do to make
> that happen.
>
> Brian
>
> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Dazed_75 <> wrote:
>
>> Possible solution below (only this comment top posted).
>>

>> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Dazed_75 <> wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps I am way off base here but why are you expecting runlevel 3 to
>>> not run X? Yes, that was the SysVinit definition, but has not been used in
>>> debian or ubuntu in a long time:
>>>
>>> http://www.debianadmin.com/debian-and-ubuntu-linux-run-levels.html
>>>
>>> I think I read that Fedora, RedHat had started using upstart but I don't
>>> know whether they kept the runlevel definintions they used previously like
>>> in RH9:
>>>

>>> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-boot-init-shutdown-sysv.html
>>>
>>> The confusion in usage of runlevels by different systems is made much
>>> clearer in this wikiperia article:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel
>>>
>>> So again, I may be off base here, but it seems to me there is no way in
>>> ubuntu 9.04 to do what you want without editing some of the services out of
>>> some runlevel (2-5) before tryiing to enter it and expecting X not to run.
>>> IOW, runlevel 2-5 are all the same un debian/ubuntu UNLESS you change their
>>> definition first.
>>>
>>> Hmmm, I just realized that for their server edition, they probably have
>>> done so already. I don't have ne installed to look at.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry
>>>

>> Take a look at the following but read down a ways to find the solution
>> that did work for someone:
>>

>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/78408/how-do-i-change-default-runlevel-in-ubuntu
>>

>> --
>> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Thanks and best regards,
Ryan Rix
TamsPalm - The PalmOS Blog
(623)-239-1103 <-- Grand Central, baby!

Jasmine Bowden - Class of 2009, Marc Rasmussen - Class of 2008, Erica
Sheffey - Class of 2009, Rest in peace.