Re: Ubuntu and Sound Card?

Author: Matt Graham
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Ubuntu and Sound Card?
After a long battle with technology, mike enriquez wrote:
> I just installed Ubuntu 8.04 and it seems to have issues with my sound
> card.

Why do people call problems "issues"? And does this mean "sound doesn't work
at all", or "sound works, but there are problems with it"? If you specify a
problem precisely, it's usually much easier to solve it.

> Does anyone out there know of a sound card to use with this version
> of Ubuntu?

First, figure out what kind of soundcard you have. That's "/sbin/lspci | grep
audio". If I do that, I get:

00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio
Controller (rev a2)

...which is supported by the snd_intel8x0 module, no problem. If you have a
new soundcard, it may not be supported by the older kernel that shipped with
Ubuntu 8.04, which may mean all you have to do is do a kernel update and
reboot. Or if you have something like a higher-end Creative soundcard, it
may require more fiddling. Post the output of the command above and someone
should be able to advise you.

If all else fails, I have an ES1371 PCI card sitting in my junk drawer which
*will* work for sound (only in 2-channel) though its joystick port may be
broken.

--
I realised I was dyslexic after attending a toga party dressed
as a goat. --Author unknown