Re: Mail Forwarding and DNS

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Mail Forwarding and DNS
From: Eric Cope <>
> I rent web hosting space on a server. I have a client that has their own
> mail server. If I change the name servers to route traffic to the web

server
> and make a DNS entry to route email to the mail server, will email traffic
> count against their monthly bandwidth?

If you have a machine that's serving pages for foo.com , and the MX
record for foo.com says "0 somewhere.else.com" , then SMTP should
route all mail sent to $ to somewhere.else.com for
delivery. No SMTP traffic should be sent to foo.com under this
setup.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
The Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress/