Re: Does switching from 1.5 Mbp to a faster fiber-optic conn…

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Does switching from 1.5 Mbp to a faster fiber-optic connection require any system changes?
On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 15:36 -0700, Josef Lowder wrote:
> Does switching from my current Qwest DSL 1.5 Mbp service to a faster
> fiber-optic connection require any system changes?
>
> When I first got hooked up with Qwest DSL, I remember it was quite a
> hassle to get it to work. But once I got it sorted out, with a few
> relatively minor outages, it has been working fine for a couple years.
> Upon the recommendation by some PLUG folks, I got a used 2-Wire
> modem/router from RedSeven because I was told it would work better
> than what Qwest was providing at that time.
>
> Since Qwest has been promoting higher-speed, fiber-optic connections
> of up to 20 Mbps, I called to ask their customer service department if
> I would have to make any changes to my current setup if I signed up
> for this. Their answer was, "No, everything will remain the same."
> So, I signed up for the 7 Mbps option for an extra $10/month.
>
> Today, I received a package containing a "QuickConnect" Installation
> CD that is described as being needed to "optimize" my modem. No doubt
> this CD has some M$ program and I am
>
> Since my system is Linux, I suspect this CD is probably useless to me.
>
> So, is there anything I will need to do via my Linux system to get
> everything to work correctly?
> And if so, what?

----
assuming this is an Actiontec device that Qwest normally supplies, it
always has a web interface and their 'QuickConnect' stuff is sort of
wizard driven for people that don't understand anything about
networking. It shouldn't matter and you can generally use a web browser
for just about anything.

Craig

believed to be clean.