kernel problems

Author: Nathan England
To: PLUG Discussion List
Subject: kernel problems

Hello Hello,

I currently am running 2.6.24.7 and I have stuck with it because of bootsplash
patches for it. I decided to try to build a new kernel, but I cannot make it
boot. I have my own initramfs that my current kernel loads. It is not
required, as my current kernel will boot even if I tell grub to not use the
initramfs file. The new kernel will begin to boot but it always fails with a
kernel panic. It has even gone so far as to show the boot device during the
initial discovery, yet afterwards it fails. If I tell grub to use the new
kernel and either a new ramfs with the appropriate modules for the kernel or
the WORKING ramfs file for the working kernel, it still fails and in the same
place.

I can only imagine that something has changed between 2.6.24.7 and 2.6.28.2
but I cannot figure out what.

Is anyone running a new kernel than 2.6.24.7 that you could possible send me
your .config file so I can try something else??? I really cannot figure this out!

nathan