Re: [Article] Cox ready to throttle P2P, non "time sensitive…

+ (text/html)
Author: Sharkscott
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: [Article] Cox ready to throttle P2P, non "time sensitive" traffic
I agree Shawn, I like your idea, I don't download THAT much, but why 'pay'
for when its someone else watching a thousand videos at once that is causing
the network slowdown..

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 6:29 AM, Eric Shubert <> wrote:

> Nicely said. I agree.
>
>  wrote:
> > I think that this is being taken out of context...
> > I manage a small wireless network with around a hundred victims...
> > er...
> > CUSTOMERS!    :)

> > Being a wireless network, we face challenges that wired networks don care
> > about, and when the traffic spikes, we have to "manage".
> >
> > Let me state in here that we don't do false advertising (in fact most of
> our
> > customers are word-of-mouth), and we explain people that we "shape" the
> > line.
> >
> > I am not defending Cox and I don't know what they are doing, but having
> seen
> > how "journalists" makeup overblown aviation news for the sake of
> "yellowish
> > journalism" (or sometimes blatant ignorance of the subject and laziness
> > get informed), I don't have any doubt that they will grab a few words
> from a
> > manager, and run to the nearest keyboard to type away something that
> > "sells"...
> > Unfortunately, "truth" doesn't sell very well...
> >
> > With that said, and after donning my asbestos suit, I want to change one
> > word that probably got misplaced here: Throttle.
> >
> > For all I know (not much indeed), and from what I gather from the obvious
> > ignorance of the reporter (again, nothing new after I see how they convey
> > aviation "news") Cox is not doing "Throttling", Cox is doing "Shaping".
> >
> > You cannot run a network pipe without some kind of management, or
> everything
> > is going to go Hell.
> >
> > The way this is done, is by inspecting packets to determine priority.
> > VoIP packets will be expedited and FTP packets will be sent after.
> > Latency is not an issue in an FTP transfer.
> > Latency will kill a VoIP connection.
> > At the expense or extending the FTP connection a few seconds.
> >
> > This is not unfair, this is necessary, albeit unpopular...
> >
> > And IS NOT TRIVIAL.
> > In fact, it is complex enough when you can inspect the packets, never
> mind
> > if you are dealing with an encrypted connection...
> >
> > Finally, even though I don't prevent P2P in "my valley", I do severe or
> > throttle the outbound connections when they become a burden for the
> network.
> > Most of the network is used by rural people that simply doesn't have
> other
> > options.
> >
> > I can't just tell them that they can't use Internet just because Joe
> Hacker
> > downloaded the latest hacked motion picture and 37 thousand hackers over
> the
> > World are banging in the line THEY (my customers) PAY FOR! to get their
> > share...
> >
> > It's a limited resource.
> > I explain that to my people too...

> [...]

Scott Ruecker,
Editor-in-Chief
LXer Linux News

"The world doesn't need saving. But the word does, and copy editing is what
fights the good fight."