Storage mangement advice

Author: Stephen
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Storage mangement advice
I have a storage server that i am running, i gave a while with
openfiler and it has mostly been sucessful, but it is developing a
weird quirk that its really unnaceptable.

we had created an iSCSI volume and attached it to our server and have
atamoving back and forth, quite happily really. but over time it has
developed this weird sluggisness only on the webadmin side. the iSCSI
performance is fine.. frist tiem we discovered this we had some
downtme available as we needed to reboot hte mainserver so we rebooted
the storage server as well. however the sluggisness is back... and
well this emans the openfiler is holding about 1.7TB of space hostage
and not letting me allocate it. and this is kind of unacceptable
because if i want to admin the server i should not have to reboot it
first.

the configuration is a Supermicro board 3ware 8006-2 with a pair od
drives with the OS installed, then 6 SATA drives connected as AHCI fro
the data array. useing the 3ware to manage the boot partition and also
Os/swap seemed a logical choice for me. but now im having second
thoughts on useing openfiler but i am at a loss for a plan b.

the fun part is i have had no luck finding this issue among any other
openfiler users at all. and im faily sure that teh system has the
resources avialable.

8gb of ram and a single harpertown 5405 i think is a little overkill
to have "performance issues"

the hardware was eventually going to be repurposeable to a virtual
host so we werent concerned with "wast" on overkill hardware. but as
we are having to completely reset the network we dont want to buy a
whole lot of hardware that we dont have a clear use in a new home. or
will become "throw away" hardware that will have no eventual purpose
in our new facility.

Stephen