Re: Trying Fedora

Author: Thomas Cameron
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Trying Fedora
leegold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm finding Xubuntu 8.10 to be unstable. A lot of people on this list
> seem to be into Fedora disto - I'm downloading the iso now. It's ashame,
> Xubuntu feels wonderful - but it acts weird, things freeze and crash. My
> theory is that there are so many distros that the quality of the
> programmers is spreading thin...I don't think it reflects on Debian, I
> tried the desktops based on freeBsd which is rock solid and fast. But
> those distros where unstable too. Slackware desktops had problems too.

I'm (obviously) a huge Fedora advocate, but I will echo what others have
said - if your system is locking up, I would look at hardware, not software.

Have you run memtest86 against your system to make sure you don't have
flaky memory? I recently had a formerly rock solid Dell system become
seriously wonky and after much wailing and moaning and gnashing of teeth
discovered a memory module had gone south. Once I replaced it the
system was back to running like a top.

TC