experienced glider pilot (was: Re: OT: Wise pilot...)

+ (text/html)
Author: Mike Schwartz
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Mike L Schwartz
Subject: experienced glider pilot (was: Re: OT: Wise pilot...)
On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 9:02 PM, <
> wrote:

> http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ipKRkY9XnWmqqvBNAlBju1taRJ
> CQD95P8EB84
>

> Blah, blah, blah...
> Amazing story, the airplane crashed and then:
> "The plane came to a stop. The captain gave a one-word command,
> "Evacuate.""
>
> Like anybody needed to be commanded for that... ;-)
> ET
>
> PS: As a Commercial pilot (multi/single engine and gliders) and flight
> instructor (single engine and gliders) I consider this a story as one for
> the books.
> Also, notice that several gliding success stories for airliners are pulled
> off by glider pilots.
> Food for thought...

> success stories [...] pulled off by glider pilots.

Right.
One example:
Back when the Boeing 767 was a brand new aircraft [1983] ( see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider ) there was a mistake made during
re-fueling, (I think it involved confusing pounds vs. kilograms) (plus, I
think there was some equipment problem with the "fuel quantity sensor")
...anyway -- long story short -- Air Canada flight 143 ran out of fuel while
airborne, and they had to do a so-called "dead-stick landing" -- (so),
they were very fortunate that there happened to be AN EXPERIENCED GLIDER
PILOT in the cockpit that day.
(23 July 1983).
--
Mike Schwartz