Re: ****Re: Linux Administration - Users in (any) database h…

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: ****Re: Linux Administration - Users in (any) database howto/why...
On Thu, 2009-01-01 at 11:24 -0500, wrote:
> I think that LDAP is overkill for my application.
> My users will authenticate only in/for one server, and probably to either
> update a WEB site or drop/retrieve e-mail.
>
> Some users may have WEB sites, some users may have e-mail, some users may be
> signed up in the wireless network, and some users may have any combination
> of those services, but those details can be easily stored at the database
> level.
> Even if I split some functionality among various servers.
> I hope... :)
> Thanks!
> Enrique
>
> PS: LDAP stuff:
> http://www.ucalgary.ca/it/directories/identity/ldap-pam

----
LDAP is overkill when considering only one purpose. The value of LDAP is
portability, lots of clients understand how to speak the language
including many authentication systems and there is built-in replication.

Once you decide that symmetry of UID's, GID's and passwords across
systems has considerable value, LDAP becomes the way to go.

Add in things like shared contacts/address books and automatic NFS
mounts, e-mail routing/aliases are terrific bonuses.

Craig