Re: tar czf xxx question

Author: Stephen
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: tar czf xxx question
Its I/O and CPU bound. with new processors the CPU constraint is not
as much of an issue which would leave it an I/O bound process. If you
have an older machine or a ridiculous disk array then it would be CPU
bound.

In my past experience it has helped a great deal to use the gzip or
bzip compression over just a plain tar archive.

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:43 AM, jdawg <> wrote:
> I have a job that runs every Saturday morning on one of our Servers.
> It job is to backup all of our vobs. The job is getting longer and longer
>
> My question to you: the tar cz command, (or tar gzip combo), in your
> experience, is it more I/O bound or CPU bound, or both?
> My guess is that it is I/O bound.
>
> --
> Happy Trails!
> Jerry (K7AZJ)