Re: My take on Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10 (K/X/Ubuntu)

Author: Ted Gould
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: My take on Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10 (K/X/Ubuntu)
On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 23:15 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 8:11 AM, SI - <> wrote:
> > Only one problem I have with 8.10 - Nvidia did not provide updated drivers
> > for Ubuntu to use for the older cards.
> >
> > Does anyone know if this was fixed? I cannot upgrade until these drivers
> > get released.
> >
> I Installed ubuntu 8.10 today on someones emachine with an nvidia 6100
> and it went fine even though the max resolution was 800x600 until the
> restricted driver was activated. BTW, nvidia traditionally supports
> all there cards with the newest driver. I haver not checked that for
> some time and specifically not for linux. NTL, that was always their
> policy.

My understanding is that they've stopped supporting older cards with
their newer drivers. Thus, since the driver format changed, you need an
updated driver to work with X, so older cards will have to use the nv
driver instead of the proprietary one. Unfortunately, no one can
volunteer to help them because their driver is closed source.

        --Ted