Re: an idea for keeping the moderating sorta "low pressure" …

Author: Mike Schwartz
To: Main PLUG discussion list
CC: Alan Dayley, Mike L Schwartz
Subject: Re: an idea for keeping the moderating sorta "low pressure" (was: Re: right on the edge...)
> I personally enjoy reading each and every post whether on or off topic.

NO PROBLEM!
as already pointed out,
>...> Those who choose to do so, can subscribe to BOTH lists.

So, you can join the class of readers who take advantage of the
"opportunity", to sign up on both lists.

The question is, should that be the only option?
If you say "YES" (it should be the only option),
then I think you are in the minority.

Disclosures:
     I have no vested interest here one way or the other.
I am probably going to also "take advantage of the
opportunity" to "subscribe to BOTH lists" myself.
     I also do not have any stock or options in any co. that
makes "list moderator" hardware or software, or any controlling
interest in any other company, that stands to benefit from any
windfall profits due to PLUG-Discuss making a decision to go
with some kind of "moderator" scheme, for "diversion" to a
so-called "PLUG-Alt list" in certain cases.

    I just agree that, it might help the group, especially with
making a first impression on some new person who might
be feeling nervous anyway, e.g. about switching to a new
OS, perhaps at the same time as they are also switching
to the use of OpenOffice.org, Firefox, and/OR other FLOSS
products.  Some of them may be a bit uneasy with computers
in any event.  Often, they are unfamiliar with the history and
"customs" of Usenet.  As I see it, part of what we should be
doing, is welcoming those folks to PLUG, and hence,
    "in a sense",
to the world of Gnu/Linux and all "GPL" /slash "FOSS" code.
And doing that, might include various misc. things, such as
causing the "default" [subscription to PLUG-Discuss] to
be **"free"** <--(what a word!) of certain posts, that might
otherwise have the risk of scaring off some potential readers
(/slash, new/potential **users** of Linux and other FLOSS).

> Hearing somone elses opinion shouldn't be a problem or a foreign concept. [...]

     I know, maybe it's them and not us, if something like
some honest sincere opinions (180 degrees apart, in
alternating posts) can scare them off.   I actually can sorta
see an argument for claiming that ((eventually!)) those
readers / Linux users, should develop a thick enough skin
(and maybe filtering  skills, too,  for filtering by Subject
   and/or by sender),
(if/as appropriate), so that they are ((eventually!)) able to
coexist in a "Discuss" list without being at risk of
being scared off by ...any kind of posts.
     But, all that might TAKE TIME!
And while we are WAITING for a given newbie to grow
that thick skin,  it might be appropriate [a good idea]
to afford them the option, to subscribe to PLUG-Discuss,
[only], and not also the PLUG-Alt list,
(in fact that should probably be the newbie "default"...).
And giving them that choice, might mean having some
kind of "moderator" scheme, e.g. one that provides for
     "diversion to the PLUG-Alt list",
instead of PLUG-Discuss, in certain cases.
     The preceding has been, "my 0.02",
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ