ICH 3 and weird AC97 Audio

Author: Stephen
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: ICH 3 and weird AC97 Audio
I have an old notebook with an ICH3 based chipset wich is half of the
audio and the AC97 supposedly the other half of the audio. I am trying
to get some flavor of Linux on it but cannot get the audio to pan out
fully. I think the closest i have had was Ubuntu 7.10 and i only get
audio with login, but not once i am at gnomes desktop. and the audio
subsystem just seems to lock up.

any suggestions on where to move with this fool thing? It not horribly
old. P4 2.8/533 1gb ddr/266 it has a tv tuner in it... and ATI radeon
9000 based video. be nice if I could get the TV tuner but not horribly
important.

thanks

Stephen