RE: Intel Motherboard and Linux?

+ (text/html)
Author: Lisa Kachold
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: RE: Intel Motherboard and Linux?

Hey Mike!

That MotherBoard will work suitely with Linux! You might want to update your bios depending on which version you have. Bios updates are a good move when building any system.
Bios Update Links (Check your Manufacturer Site) http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/146778-30-bios-updates-2004

The D915PBL board doesn't have integrated video; your video card is going to be more important to the build (so you can use X and a nice monitor successfully) [unless you plan to use text only linux]; what is your video card?

Here's an example of someone using your MotherBoard for Linux - discussing the age old battle of Video Cards (to give you an idea of how important this is): http://www.astahost.com/info.php/video-card-battle-ati-vs-n-vidia_t7007.html

Also do you have a RAID card, SCSI or anything other that's special? You want to be sure that the drivers are available in your distro of choice.

I really love FedoraCore 9 for an advanced user system.

If this is your first build you might try out Kubuntu with KDE, since it's powerful but really well supported.

Are you a student or developer? Linux programming, graphics, and office tools are easy to use!

http://wapedia.mobi/en/Obnosis || http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/obnosis | Obnosis.com (503)754-4452
Subject: Intel Motherboard and Linux?
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:35:01 -0700

I have an Intel D915PBL power series motherboard. I
would like to use it with Linux. Does anyone
in the Linux Group have experience with this board
and Linux. I can load any Linux Distro on it but
I would hate to break the seal on the box if it
does not work with linux.
Thanks'
Mike Enriquez