Re: OT: Gmail filter errors

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: Gmail filter errors
I see a few things to be concerned with here:
1) GMail expects you to use it's built-in spam detection (it's a lot more expansive than what LK described, BTW). Building your own spam detection net via filters is likely to result in a lot of bad effects.
2) Filters have nothing to do with SPAM, so marking something as not spam won't stop your filters
3) Filters are SEARCHES, not exact matches or regular expressions. They're subject to word detection, query-space expansion, and all the other things that make a Google search find what you want. They will almost always return more matches than you would expect unless you make them really tightly controlled (i.e. "listid:some-single-word-id", with quotes to limit expansion, NOT subject:blah).
4) Use filters to find and label email, even archive it, but don't use them to find and fight spam, use the spam tools for that. Remember, if you got a spam message, probably thousands of other users did too, and marking it spam makes it more likely to be moved to the spam folder for all the other users who were in the spammer's database.

As far as the specifics, the character (') is, I suspect, a keyword with lots of special expansions, and query-space expansion is causing some of the smaller search terms with (') in them to match anything with (i').

Seriously, are you really getting that much spam in your gmail account? It sounds like almost all of the spam is caught by the GMail system, and all you're doing is deleting (mostly) legitimate email...

==Joseph++