Re: Reducing an existing Linux partition for Windows use....

Author: Eric Shubert
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Reducing an existing Linux partition for Windows use....
Matt Graham wrote:
> From: Eric Shubert <>
>> You can use "dd" to copy/restore partitions and whole drives. You can even
>> do so over a network when necessary, although it's quite a bit slower.
>
> While you *can*, it's not a great idea. dd copies everything, including
> the parts of the filesystem that are not in use, so it takes longer than
> filesystem-based backup methods. It's usually better to use something
> like partimage, which has a happy little ncurses menu-driven interface.

I'm not familiar with partimage. Sounds like it reads the filesystem though,
so while it would be faster, it would also be filesystem dependent.
partimage works ok with NTFS I take it? dd works on any/every filesystem.

> partimage can also back up MBRs, partition bootsectors, and probably the
> slack space between the MBR and the start of the first partition.

dd is more capable than that, but can be dangerous too. With power comes
responsibility (and often complexity). ;)

>> Knoppix works well for this in any case.
>
> Just about any non-crippled LiveCD can be used as a rescue system by an
> experienced Linux person. I like SysRescCD, but YMMV.

True enough. I also have a copy of SystemRescueCD handy, but recently find
myself using knoppix more often.

--
-Eric 'shubes'