Re: Reset root password without alternate boot?

Author: Technomage Hawke
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Reset root password without alternate boot?
well, if you do rip the drive out, don't erase it. I have a tool or 2
here where I can interface that with my big box and go in and crack
your password for you (john the ripper is handy). others my have
similar tools or ideas.

also, if you take the drive out and mount it on another linux box as a
secondary drive, you can access its filesyste, edit /etc/shadow and
make the root password blank. that will give you root access my
hitting enter at the password prompt. then you can change it to your
preferred password at any time :)