running a pc fan outside of a case

Author: Alex Dean
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: running a pc fan outside of a case
My notebook gets ridiculously hot. I cut some holes in my desk to get
some air circulating under it. I'd like to attach a few small fans to
move a little more air, and some fans from a PC case seem ideal for both
size and noise reasons.

I know nearly nothing about hardware. I think I can hook these up to a
PC power supply, and plug the power supply into my wall, right?

Questions :
- Any better ideas for small quiet fans which could easily be attached
to a desk?
- Is it safe to have a PC power supply outside of a case?
- Where can I get a cheap power supply? To run a few fans, I'd think
any piece of junk ought to do. Frys?
- Will there be any way to switch this rig on/off besides just yanking
out the power cord?

The safety issue is the primary one. I have 2 little kids, and while
they aren't allowed in my office, I don't want a potential electrocution
hazard anywhere in the house.

thanks,
alex