Re: Virtual Dedicated Server has not /dev/net - ProblemwithO…

Author: Dale Farnsworth
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Virtual Dedicated Server has not /dev/net - ProblemwithOpenVPNdev/net/tun
Bryan wrote:
> This is a sad statement... Or a really good one... I have never had to
> install a Linux diver in my entire Linux life. The if_tun.h file was

It just means that you've been using Linux distributions which
automatically installed the drivers for you. That's what most
desktop distributions do, when properly installed.

> their, so I thought the driver was as well.... Can any one tell me how
> to install the driver?

I don't recall what distribution you are using. Are you using its
standard kernel? 2.6.9 is a bit old in the tooth, have you tried
updating to a more recent kernel?

> For got to mention
>
> [root]# modprobe tun
> FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.9-023stab044.4-smp/modules.dep:
> No such file or directory

This would seem to indicate that your distribution (or at least its
kernel) isn't properly installed.

What does the output of "ls /lib/modules/*" look like?

-Dale