Re: persistent screen saver problem

Author: Charles Jones
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: persistent screen saver problem
Charles Jones wrote:
> I have a CentOS laptop that is running firefox in kiosk mode (which
> rotates various system displays and metrics). I'm having problems
> disabling the screen blanking. Not only is it blanking the screen, but
> some time after that is does a DPMS powerdown of the display as well.
>
> So far I have tried:
> Disabling the screensaver
> Disabling power management
> Verified that apmd is not running
> xset s off
> setterm -blank 0 -powersave off 0powerdown 0
> checked the BIOS for any power management stuff in there
>
> None of it had any effect! Any suggestions?

I have since discovered that it is not the screensaver kicking in, but
rather the monitor itself is just going into powersave mode for reasons
unknown. I can go to it and just press the power button and it comes
out of powersave and shows the display for ~30m and goes back to sleep.
The display is a large LCD TV/monitor. The only thing that has changed
is that the input was coming from a windows OS, which was then
reinstalled to CentOS.

Maybe there is something different about the video timings that X is
using, such that the display thinks there is no signal and turns itself off?