Re: SMTP auth problem

Author: Joey Prestia
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: SMTP auth problem
Mike Bydalek wrote:

> Craig White wrote:

>>> I have tried with both kmail and thunderbird. My usual settings are tls
>>> if available and and smtp auth with username and password I thought at
>>> first that this was the problem it was using the old password so I
>>> removed the default smtp server settings and removed the passwords. So
>>> it would force me to manually enter the password again I did this while
>>> on another network and tried to send with no success. As soon as I
>>> disconnected from the neighboring lan and connected to the local lan it
>>> took and sent but I am unsure if it is using auth it seems like it is
>>> only sending because its on my lan how would I verify the authentication
>>> process is working at all?
>>>
>> ----
>> I don't use smtp auth but I would expect smtp auth connections to be
>> logged in /var/log/maillog and possibly in /var/log/secure
>>

> Try running saslauthd in debug mode with something like this:
> /usr/sbin/saslauthd -a pam -r -d (stop the service first though ...)
>
> Look at the way saslauthd is running now to get the proper -a and to see
> if -r is there.
>
> Then, run testsaslauthd -u <login> -p <password> to see what the debug
> says. Additionally, try the smtp auth from the client to see what the
> debug says.
>
> In the past, all the saslauthd issues I'd had became quite clear when
> running with -d.

Do I need to set up saslpasswd2 with a user and password in the database
first I have nothing in there? I assume so, so I have created an entry.
I tried your method and cant seem to get it to authenticate for any
thing I continually get 0: NO "authentication failed" Is there any thing
I am missing here?

--
Joey Prestia