Re: OT: New Law In Texas Requires PI License for Computer Te…

Author: Vaughn Treude
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: New Law In Texas Requires PI License for Computer Techs
Matt Graham wrote:
> After a long battle with technology, Joshua Zeidner wrote:
>
>> Not sure if this kind of law will find its way to AZ, but
>> http://www.gearlog.com/2008/06/new_texas_law_requires_pi_lice.php
>>

> "The name's Route. Trace Route. I got eight slugs in me. One's lead, the
> rest are WordPress. The blog packs a wallop, and I pack a Leatherman. I'm a
> private eye. And a computer tech."
>
> ...with most strange laws, the first thing to do is to follow the money. Does
> some campaign contributor have a stake in a criminal-justice degree granting
> school? Or is this a ham-fisted way to make techs legally responsible for
> misuse of customer's personal data?

I saw this, too. Wondered what kind of crack they were smoking in
Austin. As noxious as professional licensing is in principle, this
doesn't even make any sense! Could the reporter have been mistaken?
Perhaps it was PE, not PI? In any case, the Institute for Justice needs
to get involved in this.

Vaughn