Re: Microsoft joins OLPC

Author: Rhune Lord
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Microsoft joins OLPC
WAIT IT GETS BETTER, hehehe.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/20/olpc-unveils-first-prototype-of-xo-2-0/

OLPC unveils first prototype of XO 2.0

Just when it looked like OLPC was finally getting at least one foot
firmly grounded in reality with the upcoming Windows XP version of its
low-priced XO, Nick Neg takes things back into the stratosphere with
the unveiling of the XO 2.0. Due in 2010, the new laptop will employ
dual sunlight-readable touchscreen displays in a smaller, folding
e-book form factor. Sure, it looks totally amazing, but we'll believe
it when we see it. As if that weren't ambitious enough, Nick calls a
$20 pricepoint per display not out of the question, thanks to the
ubiquity of LCD screens for DVD players, with a final laptop price of
$75. Sure Nick, but 2010? Let's work on getting the XO down to $100
first, shall we? Oh, and speaking of the XO, the Give 1 Get 1 program
will be started back up in August or September of this year. There's
just never a dull moment with these folks.

::: Food for thought :::