root passwords, formerly 'Best Vista Error ever'

Author: alex@crackpot.org
To: plug-discuss
Subject: root passwords, formerly 'Best Vista Error ever'
Quoting Jon Ernster <>:

> It doesn't make much sense why linux distros don't
> change this, but it doesn't make sense why MySQL is shipped without a
> root password either. I guess someone thinks it's a good idea, or
> doesn't think it's a bad enough idea to fix a common sense security flaw.

Maybe I misunderestimate your point, but if MySQL shipped with a root
password, wouldn't that password have to be disclosed in the docs
somewhere? I don't see how a known default password is any better
than no password at all.

Or are you saying that the installation or first startup should
require the creation of a root password? That would make sense.

alex