Re: House Passes PRO IP Bill

Author: Robert N. Eaton
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: House Passes PRO IP Bill
wrote:
> What I don't get about ethanol is, if it's about a
> domestically-produced fuel/fuel independence thing, why go E85?
>
> From what I hear, in Brazil, a lot of the cars can run on 100% ethanol,
> so if we get a miracle that lets us crank up ethanol production without
> starving the world, we can cut the petroleum industry much more out of
> the loop.
>
> Of course, at the end of the day, individual transportation, no matter
> what its form, is always inefficient. Give me a 2,000 horsepower
> locomotive pulling a commuter train with 500 passengers, over 500
> individual cars.

I, too, think ethanol is a remarkable fuel for racing. It burns cool,
it allows very high compression ratios, and it produces very high
specific outputs for a given capacity engine.

BUT, it contains about one fourth as many calories as gasoline, pound
for pound. This means that to reach a certain power output, the engine
needs four times as much ethanol. One author I read stated that there
just isn't enough arable land in the world to support our energy habit
on an ethanol economy and still allow us to eat.

Bob Eaton