Re: How to open .azw or .prc (mobireader) files

Author: Matt Graham
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: How to open .azw or .prc (mobireader) files
After a long battle with technology, Josef Lowder wrote:
>> Package management has probably improved a lot on later Mandrake
>> releases.
> I do have a more recent Mandriva release on another computer
> but need this on an older system that I cannot risk updating.

If a distro's upgrade procedure is even slightly suspect, it's time to get a
different distro. Seriously.

>> I did this last week for a package that has no Gentoo ebuild.
>> rpm2targz followed by extracting the tarball to / , and it worked.
> This seems interesting, but confusing for my feeble mind. I don't
> find 'rpm2targz' on my system,

The package I was installing was a Fedora RPM that had no Gentoo ebuild. To
install it on a Gentoo system, I had to convert it into a tarball first, then
extract it. This step is not relevant to your case.

>> What you'll probably have to do is manually move some stuff around after
>> you unpack the tarball in /usr/local/ , since the tarball will probably
>> extract some things to /usr/local/usr/bin/ and /usr/local/usr/lib/ , which
>> is obviously not right.

> What you describe is exactly what happened and I ended up
> with a new 'usr' subdirectory in /usr/local that contains

> drwxr-xr-x 6 1000 1000 4096 Mar 22 06:00 share
> drwxr-xr-x 3 1000 1000 4096 Mar 22 06:00 lib
> drwxr-xr-x 2 1000 1000 4096 Mar 22 06:00 bin
>
> So, do I just move the contents of each of these three subdirs
> into the correspondingly named dirs in /usr/local? And do I
> need to rename the usr and group names from '1000' to 'root'?

Do the recursive chown first, then move the files into the appropriate dirs,
then run ldconfig. Like so:

cd /usr/local/usr/
chown -R root:root *
mv share/* /usr/local/share/
mv lib/* /usr/local/lib/
mv bin/* /usr/local/bin/
ldconfig
cd /usr/local/
rm -rf usr

...HTH,

--
He is a rhythmic movement of the penguins, is Tux.
--MegaHAL, trained on random gibberish