Re: Linux hardware report

Author: Matt Graham
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Linux hardware report
After a long battle with technology, Dennis Kibbe wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 18:46 -0700, Trent Shipley wrote:
>> Windows can report on connected hardware (eg CPU and Motherboard make and
>> model). Can Linux do this? I would like to see if my BIOS needs an
>> update, but first I need to know about my motherboard.
> With any distro you can run from the commmandline "cat /proc/cpuinfo" &
> "/sbin/lspci -v" or from the GNOME Panel "System/Adminstration/Hardware".

lspci : info on all devices connected to the PCI bus.
dmidecode : detailed info on all devices connected to the motherboard,
including system BIOS make and model#.
lsusb : info on all devices connected to the USB subsystem.
lshw : supposed to list all hardware, but I've never used it.

...lspci is on all systems, though on Redhat-derived systems, you'll have to
give the full path as /sbin/lspci. dmidecode is an optional package and will
probably not be installed until you tell your distro to do that.

--
Stupidity got us into this mess--why can't it get us out?
My blog and resume: http://crow202.dyndns.org:8080/wordpress/