Re: LVM2 and resizing

Author: Matt Graham
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: LVM2 and resizing
After a long battle with technology, Mike Bydalek wrote:
> der.hans wrote:
>> is it generally safe to resize, move, etc. an LVM partition without
>> unmounting the partitions on top of it?

"LVM partition"? You Mean "an LV", right? If you mean "a PV", then pvresize
et al should do the right thing as long as there's enough free space. I just
don't have enough PVs in my desktop right now to do an acid test on this.

>> How about resizing ext3 on the fly as well?

Ain't no thang to expand one, but you can't shrink ext23 without umounting it.

>> That situation doesn't really tell he what would happen on a real FS
>> where people and processes have lock files and are reading and writing
>> files or what a database thinks about having it's filesystem mucked with.
> One of the partitions I am frequently resizing contains our Scalix mail
> store. So far, I haven't had any issues with locking, db's, etc.

You can *migrate /* to a different PV using the lvm2 toolset while
everything's up in runlevel 3 or 5. This sort of indicates the abstraction
layer lvm2 provides is very robust and useful. (Well, unless your PVs get
corrupted by something like the Via chipset DMA problem in 2.3.99..2.4.4,
then it could fail spectacularly.)

--
Seemingly ordinary humans transform into rage-fueled sarcasm
dispensers. I love it! --Patrick Shaughnessy