Re: Sendmail configuration

+ (text/html)
Author: James Mcphee
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Sendmail configuration
If all else fails you can always buy mail relay services.

From a public system you should to be able to
resolve the relayname you're sending from
resolve the @"domain" in the addy
reverse lookup the IP of the relay?
anything else?

Not all mail services check for all of them, but it's best to avoid
surprises and just make sure it works.

The reverse lookup condition is new to me. My mail tends to be for
monitoring or scripts being NAT'd from internal 10.* IP's and being sent to
my phone (@vztext.com) :)

You can change, in sendmail or whatever your mail software, the hostname and
the @"domain" to something you know resolves. Not sure how badly the
reverse would kill that.

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Craig White <> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-03-20 at 08:55 -0700, Dale Farnsworth wrote:
> > > If you don't have valid forward and reverse DNS for the IP you're
> sending
> > > from, a fair number of places will give you a 500-series error. There
> are
> > > good reasons for doing that, since mail from a place that has invalid
> DNS is
> > > much more likely to be spam. Get a domain name of some type; go
> through
> > > dyndns.org if you're small-time. Don't neglect reverse DNS! If "host
> > > deepan.example.org" gets you "1.2.3.4", but "host 1.2.3.4"
> > > returns "SERVFAIL", then your reverse DNS is not set. Unset reverse
> DNS
> > > means you can't send mail to AOL and probably yahoo users. NOTE:
> forward
> > > and reverse DNS do not have to match, they just have to be valid
> names. Lots
> > > of times, they don't match (yay for multiple domains on one box).
> >
> > The requirement I've seen for AOL (and others) is that reverse DNS must
> > be set, AND that forward DNS on the name returned by reverse DNS must
> > point back to your IP address. In other words, while you may have as
> > many forward DNS entries as you want, there *must* be a forward DNS
> > entry that matches your reverse DNS entry.
> >
> > Of course, this is independent of sendmail configuration.
> ----
> and since AOL adopted it, I have adopted the same philosophy for all
> mail servers that I administrate too. It's been a good strategy.
>
> I use postfix though, it's been easier to integrate a fairly
> sophisticated strategy in deciding mail I will accept for delivery.
>
> Craig

James McPhee