Re: Are Linux boxes vulnerable to be used by botnets?

Author: Matt Graham
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Are Linux boxes vulnerable to be used by botnets?
After a long battle with technology, Erich Newell wrote:
[ botnets, ssh brute force attacks, etcetera ]
> I recommend Single Packet Authentication or Port Knocking for use in
> conjunction with your SSH service.

Port knocking is really useful, but you need to have something on the remote
client that can send the knock sequences--knock or netcat or even telnet.
This may or may not be easy, depending on what the remote client is. So I
have my sshd listening on 22 and a non-standard port. 22's blocked off with
iptables/knockd. The non-standard port is not. I haven't seen any
brute-force ssh attacks in the last 3 weeks according to the logs.

--
Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a
completely unintentional side effect. --Linus Torvalds