Re: Are Linux boxes vulnerable to be used by botnets?

+ (text/html)
Author: Erich Newell
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Are Linux boxes vulnerable to be used by botnets?
Linux boxen are very usable as bots. I am currently involved in a forensic
investigation of a compromised system that was used as part of a bot-net.

Don't fool yourself into thinking you are any safer than Windows users. You
will simply be pwnt by moderately more talented hackers is all. Lock down
your system, turn off unnecessary services, tunnel everything via encrypted
communication channels and follow bugtraq for any application that you have
interacting with potentially hostile users (i.e. internet facing).

There is no excuse for not having a robust security plan for all of your
systems.

Cheers.

- Erich

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 11:49 PM, der.hans <> wrote:

> Am 16. Mar, 2008 schwätzte Josef Lowder so:
>
> > Are Linux boxes vulnerable to be used by botnets?
>
> Theoretically yes, but not really. If there were a security hole that
> could be exploited someone could take advantage of it to deliver a payload
> that would turn GNU/Linux boxen into trojans. GNU/Linux bot would actually
> be much more powerful bots than windows boxen becuase the OS isn't
> using most of the computer's resources.
>
> GNU/Linux doesn't have as many vulnerabilities as windows or windows
> applications on other OSen. That insulates us, but it's important that we
> install security updates from our distributions or other upstream sources.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans
> --
> #  https://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.CiscoLearning.org/
> #  "Who decided that holders of government-granted monopolies should
> #  determine the future of high tech? I don't remember reading that memo."
> #    -- Will Rodger, director of public policy, Computer and
> Communications
> #       Industry Association

"A man is defined by the questions that he asks; and the way he goes about
finding the answers to those questions is the way he goes through life."