Networking Mages - HERE is a challenge

+ (text/html)
Author: Wayne Davis
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Networking Mages - HERE is a challenge
Subject: odd problem with a *established* PPTP VPN connecting a
portable using a SPRINT 595U aircard to my home network.

OS's, Equipment, and configurations:

*Portable:*
Windows XP Home,
A dial-up connectoid to connect to the internet running PPP and TCP/IP,
File & Print Share, Client For MS networks for protocols - NO LOCAL
FIREWALLS
_This connectoid performs flawlessly to the I-net._

A second connectoid to connect to the VPN running PPP and TCP/IP, File &
Print Share, Client For MS networks for protocols - NO LOCAL FIREWALLS.
This connectoid _WORKS_ in as much as I CAN browse the web pages served
from devices on my network, I can FTP to any of my FTP enabled devices.
I am able to ping to machines within my home network.

*Network Side:* a M0n0wall APPLIANCE using a Wrap 2e board running the
LATEST firmware update. It has a built-in PPTP VPN server that is
enabled and allowing a authenticated user to pass ANY protocols to ANY
LAN subnet on my network.
I can successfully ping in both directions.

_I CAN_ click on "My Network Places"-"Entire Network"-"Microsoft Windows
Network" and see my workgroup name which is NOT "workgroup".

HOWEVER, IF I click that workgroup name, expecting to see a list of
machines that have MS shares on them. I get a long pause while it scans,
then a error message: " XXXX is not accessible. You might not have
permission...."

Now if I simply disconnect the Sprint thing, and connect the portage via
the LAN jack using the SAME protocols. I SEE what I expect to see.

*/WHAT is wrong? /* I have spent (No joke) at LEAST 70 hours trying to
figure out HOW to setup this thing and this weird problem. A 2 hour
call to Sprint 's level 2 support and ultimately their subject matter
expert ultimately got this reply: " We Don't know" Which, was a
honest answer from them, and WAYYYYY beyond their normal scope.

Thank you all.