Strange dsl problems

Author: Josef Lowder
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Strange dsl problems
.
Recently, I have been experiencing strange dsl problems,
which I have been unable to either solve or even pin down.

My main Linux box which is ethernet wire connected to my 2-wire
modem/router has had a few dropped signals, but that is minor.

My backup Linux box which is also ethernet wire connected through
a hub to the same router has lost the connection entirely.

My IBM Thinkpad in another room has generally remained connected
via a 3-com wireless PCI card, though it sometimes drops the
signal; but when that happens I can always quickly reconnect.

On my HP zv6000 laptop I have a dual-boot Linux partition and a
win-xp partition. I have never been able to get the internal
broadband 802.11 wireless card to work with the Linux partition,
but until recently, I have never had any problem maintaining a
steady 54Mbps wireless connection. But now that has gone flakey.
However, I can connect to my neighbor's linksys unsecured wireless
router at 11Mbps.

On my wife's computer in another room dual booting Linux and win-xp
I initially had a wireless connection on the Linux partition, but
it failed shortly after I set it up, so she has been using the xp
partition and has maintained a steady 54Mbps connection ... until
recently, but that connection has become unreliable. Sometimes
it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Today, I called both 2-wire and qwest, but neither were able to
help me solve the problem.

I've tried ipconfig on the xps and /sbin/ifconfig on the linux
boxes and get a mixed bag of IP addresses.

So I'm stuck. How can I solve this?

When I do ipconfig on our two different