Re: Asterisk (geek girl)

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Asterisk (geek girl)
On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 20:33 -0700, wrote:
> Quoting Geek Girl <>:
>
> > Well the Phoenix Asterisk Users Group is going to be organizing. I do know
> > this first hand. =-)
> >

> I don't supposed you would care to expand on this?

----
I would imagine that an Asterisk Users Group would generate a
substantial amount of interest and I hope that if this happens, someone
will post up info on meetings on the list.
----
> > Alas AdminsParadise is officialy a dead project.
> > Elastix has hylafax bundeled in thier distro...
> > The biggest problem right now with trixbox is that there are 4 people that
> > work on it...2 developers and a sales guy and a Package dude..Oh and dont
> > get me started on the fact that your trixbox has a cron job that sends your
> > data to trixbox servers...this was a HUGE fiasco about a month back....This
> > was previously unreleased info to the community. Fonality has put all of
> > their money and energy in trixbox PRO..(which is a peice of cr@p)
> > You can compile on the back end...HA but if they do not support the card you
> >
> > cannot configure it in the GUI....and void any waranty bla bla bla.....
> >
> The phone home fiasco wasn't the worst of it, they had a mechanism that would
> have allowed Fonality to download files and/or run arbitrary commands as root.
> Despite reassurances and disclaimers from Fonality in their public forums, I
> downloaded PBX in a Flash the same night I read that thread, and I'm not going back.
>
> If anyone cares, unlikely as that is, the thread starts here:
> http://www.trixbox.org/forums/trixbox-forums/open-discussion/trixbox-phones-home
>
> The ironic thing was, I was only reading the forums after a Trixbox update broke
> my config.

----
that was really, really bad. I found that this comment from Kerry
Garrison, Trixbox Community Director to be most disappointing in that he
found it so easy to justify...

"This is getting far off the mark here. We are going to fix this so that
it is easy to opt out of the program. If everyone opts out, we have no
data, if we have no data, then we lose the financial support of our
partners. If we lose the finanicial support of our partners, I lose my
funding, if I lose my funding, I lose my team. If I lose my team we have
no development on CE."

This type of thinking flies in the face of the open source community. If
the corporate partners commitment to open source lies only as far as
they are able to glean information from their users then you have to
figure their commitment isn't very substantial at all.

Craig