setting variables in ubuntu 7.10

Author: Bob Holtzman
To: plug-discuss
Subject: setting variables in ubuntu 7.10
It's been a long time since I set up my last computer (RH7.3...yeah, it's
been that long ago) and I can't remember how I set my ISP's NNPT server
name and made it persistant. I can use "export <server name> and run my
news reader immediately after with no problem. As soon as I exit the
reader (slrn) and close the xterm window the server name is lost.

In RH the variables are in ~/.bashrc but ubuntu doesn't have this file.
There is a ~/.profile file that appears to be the equivalent. Is this
typical of debian based distros or do I have a problem other than failed
memory (mine...not the computer's)?

--
Bob Holtzman
......check the price of the beer!"