Re: Wikipedia objections (Was: Re: zImage compressed with wh…

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Wikipedia objections (Was: Re: zImage compressed with what?)
Errors and omissions corrected below.

Too many children, nieces and a nephew running around here. And I'm tired.

Alan

Alan Dayley wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 18:40 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
>>> Thank you all. I should have thought of wikipedia!
>> ----
>> Just wondering...I occasionally run into people that dismiss wikipedia
>> out of hand citing a lack of accuracy. Needless to say, I get a little
>> excited because even when I suggest that they are capable of fixing
>> inaccuracies or adding missing information, they are defeatists who
>> simply don't get it.
>>
>> I would bet others run into this kind of person...who doesn't believe
>> that it's accurate unless it's printed in Groliers or Britannica or some
>> pay service. How do you deal with people like this?
>
> I try to express these ideas:
>
> - They are correct, it is likely that some of the information in
> Wikipedia articles is wrong.
>
> - Since Wikipedia requires references and places that need them get
> flagged, references in Wikipedia can be used as a starting point for
> research.
>
> - Ask if they believe everything they read on websites but only doubt
> Wikipedia.
>
> - The same person can enter incorrect information in a Wikipedia
> article, that everyone can edit, and publish the same incorrect
> information on a website only they can edit. Ask why the later is more
> credible than the former.

- The same person can publish the same incorrect information in an
encyclopedia or journal, even after peer review. Ask why they expect it
to be completely correct.

- Ask how many people review an traditionally published article compared
to how many review a Wikipedia article.

> - Having said that, ask if they have ever watched or read a news article
> that they knew to be incorrect. Ask if they think it odd that printed
> encyclopedia sets issue correction addenda from time to time. Errors,

encyclopedia ^^publishers^^ issue correction addenda from time to time.

Errors, or at least, mistakes are in all sources of information.

> - Point out that waiting for addenda or a new addition is far less

Point out that waiting for addenda or a new ^^edition^^ is far less