Re: zImage compressed with what?

Author: Craig White
To: Main PLUG discussion list
New-Topics: Wikipedia objections (Was: Re: zImage compressed with what?)
Subject: Re: zImage compressed with what?
On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 18:40 -0700, Alan Dayley wrote:
> Kristian Erik Hermansen wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Matt Graham <> wrote:
> >> zImage became obsolete in the 2.4 series. Now you always get a bzImage,
> >> which is not bzip2, but "big zImage". If I'm not totally on crack, the
> >
> > Ah yes, thanks for the clarification...
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vmlinux#bzImage
> >
> >> compression used is gzip. There's an x86 boot sector and some setup
> >> data before the gzipped kernel image. HTH,
> >
> > I would guess that this is not true for PPC systems :-)
>
> Thank you all. I should have thought of wikipedia!

----
Just wondering...I occasionally run into people that dismiss wikipedia
out of hand citing a lack of accuracy. Needless to say, I get a little
excited because even when I suggest that they are capable of fixing
inaccuracies or adding missing information, they are defeatists who
simply don't get it.

I would bet others run into this kind of person...who doesn't believe
that it's accurate unless it's printed in Groliers or Britannica or some
pay service. How do you deal with people like this?

Craig